CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Happy First Birthday Benjamin



To my beautiful Ben, on your first birthday
It's so hard to believe that just a year ago, you and I had a very lenghty talk about you waiting until at least December 26th to arrive. Confident in my ability to convince you to do what I said, I went about my day finishing my Christmas to do list. Imagine my surprise when I sat down to dinner that night and my water broke. After what seemed to be a very long drive to the hospital, you arrived only 6 minutes after the doctors started my c-section. You started to yell before they had even delivered you all the way, which was a good clue to me that your lungs were in good shape despite your arrival at just 35 weeks, 2 days. After a very short trip to the NICU to make sure you were ready, you and Daddy joined me in the recovery room for your very first bath, and your first meal. My most vivid memory from the hospital is you and I, sitting in a warm and cozy hospital room, on a bright Colorado December day, snuggled up and getting to know each other at last.

You were a sleepy little baby those first weeks, and I remember staying up late every night, because right around midnight, you would open your eyes and look at me for a little while. I held you as much as I could in those early days, because I couldn't help but feel like I was still supposed to be holding you inside me. Those early days went quickly, and soon you were blessing us all with your beautiful smiles. Your lovely blue eyes, which had no lashes when you were born, soon had long lovely lashes that you like to bat at strangers every where we go. Always tolerant of your brother's schedule, you happily tagged along to swim class, and craft time, and school pickups and drop offs, without ever complaining. This years scrapbook contains lots of pictures of you sleeping in your stroller, at the zoo, and the aquarium, and Grandma's house.

You are such a calming presence to your high strung Mommy (and older brother). You are cheerful, and accomodating. You are such a happy boy, who loves music, and books, and you love your big brother like nothing else in the world. So much so that you seem to think you can do all the things that he can do, despite the fact that he is 3 years older than you. You, my little Benjamin Bunny, will be the child who throws caution to the wind, who will take any dare your brother sends your way.
I love you little Benny, and I can't wait to see the adventures that your second year, and all the years that follow have in store for us. Happy Birthday Baby Boy, thanks for picking me to be your mom.

0 comments: